31 October 2010

Halloween 2010

I started a post on Thursday and something happened and I never finished or sent it.
    Today is Thursday ... the 28th of October, just before Halloween weekend. I looked in the mirror this AM and realized I do not need a mask, I'll just go as an Grumpy Old Fart. Two days ago was the anniversary of the famous (infamous) Gunfight at The O.K. Corral. I have never figured out what made it so famous, but ... I spent 10 years of my life in Tombstone re-enacting it on the spot where it happened. Or as close as you can get without holding the shootout in the middle of a state highway.
   Stage and screen actor James MacArthur, who played "Danno" in the original version of television's "Hawaii Five-O," died Thursday at age 72. Most people do not know that his mother was the famed actress Helen Hayes, often referred to as "First Lady of the American Theater." Silent film star Lillian Gish was his godmother.
  Today in 1919, prohibition began in the United States. I, for one, am glad that period is over.
Some of those born on this date include:
   Rifle maker Eliphalet Remington in 1793
   Country musician Charlie Daniels in 1936 (age 74) ... fiddler, singer, songwriter & American
   Actor Dennis Franz in 1944 (age 66) ... one of the best TV cops ever
   Rock singer Wayne Fontana in 1945 (age 65) ... and his band The Mindbenders. He is 26 days older than me.
   Olympic decathlon champion-turned-sportscaster Bruce Jenner in 1949 (age 61)
   Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates in 1955 (age 55)
   Actress Julia Roberts in 1967 (age 43)
   Actor Joaquin Phoenix in 1974 (age 36)

    O.K., that is what I wrote. It is Sunday now and I am getting in the mood for the NFL. Yesterday, our Arizona Wildcats won a squeaker against UCLA in the Rose Bowl. We are now 7-1 and tied with Stanford for 2nd in the PAC 10. The #1 in the PAC 10 is ALSO #1 in the nation ... Oregon. Also yesterday ... my brother Mickey was happy as his Rangers won a World Series game against the Giants.
    I am listening to TexasExileRadio on the computer ... The Wrinkle Neck Mules are on right now. I, being a poet, am in love with certain lines in songs / poems / writing that really portray a thought in an unusual way. I heard one a little bit ago in a song by Jason Boland and the Stragglers. It goes " ... when my life was as empty as the bottle by my bed ...". Gawd, wish I had written that. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.


   Today's NFL picks: I am 28-12 the last 3 weeks (that's how long I have been publishing my picks) but I am worried this week. Oh well!!
Bucs +3 over our Cards / 49er's -2 over Broncos / Jaguars +7 over Cowboys / Redskins +2 1/2 over Lions / Jets -6 over the Packers / Rams +3 over Carolina /Dolphins +2 over Bengals / Chiefs -7 over the Bills  /  Titans + 4 over Chargers / Raiders -2 over the Seahawks / Vikings over the Patriots  / Steelers +1 over the Saints    Monday: Colts -5 1/2 over the Texans

   Tuesday is ELECTION DAY 2010 ... please get out and vote. This country needs help and you need to make your voice known. I wish that you all would vote for the Conservative candidates, but I know you won't. But I think that you should. As they say in Chicago .. "Vote, and vote often!".
  Have been corresponding with Dr. Stan "Valdez" McGowen my BFF (and old stunt work buddy) about his Mozambique trip. Although Valdez is blind, he really enjoys all the aspects of life, hunting included. He is an inspiration to me and to many others. When I think that my life has gone bad, I think of what he has done with his since his airplane accident. Two college degrees, teaching in college, three well written books, etc ad infinitum. Besides, Ms Hilda loves him to death. Anyway, he went to Africa with Richard Sanchez, a professional videographer he met at the Dallas Safari Club convention. Richard filmed the safari for a TV producer, who should air the hunt on an outdoor show next season. He says (and I quote):
   " My main goal was a leopard, but did not bag one.  Weather was hot, 88-96F and the cats were lethargic -- plus the bushpigs and warthogs were dropping their litters and the cats could scoop up a quick snack quite easily and would not get on bait.  The first day I dropped a 350# bushpig boar -- a nice trophy. I shot one sable that the lions had been after, he was scratched up and blind in one eye -- hed also broken off one horn, either defending himself from lions or other sable bulls. I brought down a 41" sable bull, a really nice trophy and a Niassa Wildebeest -- native only to the Niassa area in Mozambique and a small part of the Selous in Tanzania.  The tenth day we received a permit for a Problem Animal Control elephant, which, with several other animals had been raiding a "plantation" of bananas and sugar cane about 30 miles from our camp.  The local villagers had called for help as they could not run out the big animals with flaming torches and banging on pans. We made our stalk at night, not the easy way you see on TV, where the hunter stalks near the elephant and shoots him in the brain. We had to make our stalk through thick brush, uneven terrain full of elephant holes and banana trees they had pushed over.  The winds were swirling and we were never sure if the big animals would wind us and stampede -- hopefully not in our direction! We made our way downwind and to within 25 yards of one bull and the PH decided to shoot him; there were two others VERY near us as well, and we were not really sure where the other 5-6 elephants were.  Again, we were concerned about a stampede when we shot our selected bull. We had taken the laser off my .300 Win Mag and put it on the PH's .458 Win Mag for more firepower. When I turned on the laser the elephant saw it and flared his ears a bit, indicating that he was not pleased and might charge the light. One PH quickly directed me on target and I placed a shot through the elephant's heart. The second PH immediately broke the elephant's shoulder with his .500 Jefffery's and I placed a second raking shot through his lungs.  The bull ran about 75 yards and piled up. The second PH followed him up and put in an insurance shot. Pretty exciting!! No leopard, but maybe next time. I had a successful safari, but could not bring back the ivory. US Fish and Game preclude elephant ivory imports from Mozambique.
   Well, I have some bacon in the oven that I must check on and start Ms Hilda's breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment