28 May 2007

Memorial Day 2007

It's been a while since I set any thoughts down. What with my continuing bout with the Shingles and my work and the Legion, I have been very lazy at home. American Legion Post 36 has asked me if I would take over the office of Post Historian for the remainder of the year. I had helped out a few times because of health issues facing the incumbent, but yesterday ... at the Post Immortal ceremonies ... was my first 'official' function. Post Immortal is a yearly ceremony where we take the names of Post members who have passed on during the year and burn them in a brazier in a military ceremony. They are then members of the "Post Immortal" in heaven and are no longer Post 36 members. We had a pretty good crowd of family and friends and the color guard was in good form. Afterwards, we had a really good Pot Luck and gathering. Hilda and are going to the VFW today for Memorial Day festivities. Memorial day and Veteran's Day are times that I never fail to stop and reflect on all those who served and especially those who gave all. I have been and will be many things in my life, but I am always a proud veteran. A friend of mine who is forever badgering me to "Give Peace a Chance" and who is extremely anti-war cannot understand my glorifying of our veterans. He doesn't understand that the middle eastern faction(s) who attacked us on 9-11-01 are not giving peace a chance. In fact .... how about:

1979 - US Embassy takeover in Iran,
1982 to 1991
- 10 americans kidnapped in Lebanon,
1983
- Bombings of US Embassy and the Marine barracks in Lebanon,
1983
- Bombing of US Embassy in Kuwait,
1984
- Hijacking of Kuwait flight 221,
1985
- Hijacking of TWA flight 847,
1985
- Hijacking of Achille Lauro,
1985
- Hijacking of EgyptAir flight 648,
1986
- Bombing of TWA flight 840,
1988
- Bombing of PanAm flight 108,
1993
- WorldTrade Center bombing,
1995
- Bombing of US military complex in Riyadah,
1998
- Bombings of US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania,
2000
- Bombing USS Cole,
2004
- Bombing of Australian Embassy in Jakarta,
2004
- Train bombings in Spain,
2005
- Bombings in London

Jihad's goal (their words) ... 'IS World Domination in the name of Islam'. Two quotes that I think are relavent:

"The wave of the Islamic Revolution will soon reach the entire world".
- Mamoud Ahmadinejad

"
The ruling to kill Americans and their allies - civilian and military - is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it, in any country in which it is possible to do it ... to comply with God's orders to kill the Americans and plunder their money and resources wherever and whenever they find it. We also call on Muslim ulema, leaders, youth and soldiers to launch the raid on Satan's U.S. troops and the Devil's supporters allying with them."
- Osama bin Laden

In my little Redneck opinion... we should bomb the middle east into a parking lot and target ANY and ALL Muslim radicals whenever and wherever we find them. Happy Memorial Day and support our troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment