08 September 2013

Photos, Bourbon and other nonsense

   It is a nondescript Sunday morning and I am recovering from a long semi-sleepless night full of disturbing,(though non-nightmare type0 dreams. Those types of dreams come around rarely, although I dream nightly, but the semi-sleepless / cannot rest nights are becoming all too frequent. I am not sick today, but I really don't feel as I should ... old age is a bitch at times.
   Hilda is still resting, she had a long Saturday. I am still trying to figure out how to get the Nissan Quest repaired, but that will occur in time I guess. No banks handle title loans on vehicles you already own, and those Auto Title Loan places charge usurers rates.
   Today is the first Sunday of the NFL season. Hilda's two favorite teams ... the Green Bay Packers and the San Francisco 49ers ... play each other in the afternoon, but we shall not be able to see it as they will be overshadowed by our cable provider in order to play the Arizona Cardinals game for the locals.
  I thought that I would send along three of my cloud photographs ... I am fascinated by clouds and have taken many pictures of them.



    When I am feeling down or ill, I tend to go through my older pictures and listen to music on my computer. Just heard a song on Rebecca Creek Radio called "Wild as the Turkey on the Bottle" ... a tribute to wild living and Wild Turkey (that good old Bourbon from Jimmie and Eddie Russell up there in Lawrenceburg, KY) ... that is pretty cute. " ... I'm living my life full throttle, and I'm wild as the turkey on the bottle ... ".
   Side Note: Some of my acquaintances were arguing the other day in the VFW about what can and cannot be called bourbon. I had to set them straight, and I'll let you guys know. Some people think it has to be made in Kentucky to be called bourbon ... FALSE! Let’s get one thing straight ... all bourbon is whiskey, but all whiskey ain't bourbon. Bourbon tastes stronger and sweeter than many other whiskeys. That’s because it’s distilled from a key ingredient: corn. Bourbon is held to many different, and some say, much higher quality standards than other whiskeys, from what goes in to how long it’s aged. Bourbon (and moonshine) are America’s only native spirits, and although 95% of it comes from Kentucky, it is made in other places.To be bourbon by federal rules, the following must apply:
  1) It has to be distilled from at least 51% corn
  2) It has to be aged AT LEAST 2 years in NEW, CHARRED, OAK barrels
  3) It cannot have anything added but distilled water ... nothing that adds color or flavor can enter
       the bottles
   Jack Daniels (and lesser known brand, but one that is just as good, George Dickle) charcoal their whiskey by running it through beds of charcoal which makes it NOT a bourbon ... but this process is supposed to make it mellower ... all a matter of taste I guess.
    Wikipedia (wrongly) calls Tennessee Whiskeys straight bourbon whiskeys, but they are way off base.

    1 comment: