24 August 2013

The Turn of a Phrase

I have always been intrigued by phrases / axioms / quips. The ability to turn a great phrase is an art form unto itself. Some of the greatest ever were Mark Twain, Ambrose Bierce and Groucho Marx. There are some modern comedians who have that ability ... i.e.- Emo Phillips, Jack Handy. I was editing my collection on the computer this AM, and came across a few of my favorites: 

"I hope life isn't a joke, ... because I don't get it!" - Jack Handy 

"The metric system didn't catch on in America, ... unless you count the increasing popularity of nine-millimeters!" - Dave Barry

"I've never been a millionaire, ... but I know that I'd be good at it" - Dorothy Parker

"I was married by a judge, ... I should have asked for a jury !" - Groucho Marx

"My grandmother’s brain was dead, but her heart was still beating; it was the first time we ever had a Democrat in the family." - Emo Phillips

"My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker ... well actually, she's not my girlfriend yet ! " - Emo Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment