05 April 2016

How Does/Did a 47 Year Catholic Become a Protestant Minister?



    As most of the people who know me know … I was a Catholic for 45+ years. I became a Catholic in Vietnam, the reasons are still hazy … as are most of my in-country (Vietnam) memories from that period. Anyway, having a predilection for women who are/were of Latin/Hispanic ancestry … I remained Catholic for many years. I began … seriously … studying the Bible, along with many other facets of Christianity … and of other religions … 10-12 years ago. I had been reading about those subjects for many years haphazardly as they had always piqued my interest. Anyway, over the last few years as I became wiser, … or more jaded - take your pick … I began to feel ill at ease. A lot like Martin Luther (more about him shortly) I began to feel the frustration at the utter fallacies of “my” religion. Although I still loved the pomp and circumstance as it were, I no longer felt at ease with the trappings and teachings.

    *** Martin Luther ~ was a German composer, theology professor, former monk, and a priest. He is (was) 462 years and 3 days older than ME … 10 November 1483. Anyway, he came to reject several teachings and practices of the Catholic Church. He strongly disputed the claim that freedom from God's punishment for sin could be purchased with money. He proposed an academic discussion of the power and usefulness of indulgences in his Ninety-Five Theses of 1517. His theology challenged the authority and office of the Pope, the Pope’s (and Priest’s) ability to forgive sins, by teaching that the Bible is the only source of divinely revealed knowledge from God and he opposed sacerdotalism ~ the belief that propitiatory sacrifices for sin require the intervention of a priest. That is, it is the belief that a special, segregated order of men, called the priesthood, are the only ones who can commune directly with God ~ by considering all baptized Christians to be a holy priesthood. ‘nuff said!!! 

   Anyway, as I was saying … reading Luther, John Calvin, the Kabbalah, the Midrashes and various other religious texts made me rethink my Catholicism and the more I studied the Anglican / Episcopal Church … the more I was fulfilled. And though I have chosen (freely) to remain non-sectarian at this juncture of my learning curve, I acknowledge my sources. I would also like to thank the folks at Hillsdale College, Christian University, Free Will Baptist Church and the National Association of Christian Ministers for their contributions.
    So, I guess that is how a 40+ year Catholic became … and is still becoming … a Protestant Minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment