14 June 2006

Mid June already

I haven't been on in a while. The new job is really keeping my free time to a minimum. It should ease a bit in a couple of weeks, and in the meantime ... the pay will be great.

The summer seems to have arrived in our desert community. It was 109 Tuesday, 107 Wednesday, 106 for Thursday. We should cool down to 102-103 for a few days and then back to 106-107. The warehouse has been really warm ... no coolers or A/C.

My poetry writing has also slowed drastically. I am too tired to get the creative juices flowing I guess.

I am watching Rashomon on "TCM", starring Toshiro Mifune. It is one of the best foreign films ever. I do sometimes suspect the English subtitles, as they seem to miss a lot. I have always thought that Mifune did a great job in this movie. I loved his rendition of MacBeth in the Japanese movie Throne of Blood (Japanese version of William Shakespeare's MacBeth). If you ever want to see a GREAT movie .. see that one. It is, of course, in Japanese with English subtitles, but it is a magnificent movie and brilliantly acted. Rashomon is also well acted ... Machiko Kyô is really excellent as the wife of the Samurai, and Mifune gives his usual brilliant performance. He is sort of the Japanese version of DeNiro, Spencer Tracy, John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart rolled into one. You guys may remember him ... I don't suppose many of you like Japanese films ... as Admiral Yamamoto in the movie Midway or with Lee Marvin in Hell in the Pacific.

Tonight, the temperature has cooled to below 95 already. Going to be a lovely night.

I am going to the pool and/or the jacuzzi after the movie and relax a bit. I got off early today (after 11.5 hours). It is really bad when you think that 11.5 hours is a break ... huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment