23 July 2006

Another Sunday

Our temperatures have set records for the date the last two days. 110 on Friday and 108 yesterday. Should cool to 103 or so today. Hasn't been bad though, the humidity hasn't been high at all.

I have been up since 0445, watching the British Open since 0600 local time. I have washed clothes, answered my e-mails, washed dishes and had a bagel and some cream cheese. I will attempt to get through my favorite parts of the Sunday newspaper while I watch the Open.

Today is my "shopping" afternoon. Have to get sandwich bags, EVOO, some mushrooms, meat, etc. And, I have to figure out my menus for the week, ... lunches and dinners.

My Sunday walk ... about 0515 ... was short this AM. My knee (arthritis you know) has been bothering me a bit more of late. But the weather was nice, although we didn't have the coolness that I like in my morning jaunts. I spied a hummingbird of a color that I do not recall seeing before. It was a purple one, but the color was odd. Sort of a cross between lilac and blue.

I sent out Fred Reed's newest column via e-mail. It was about abolishing universities ... and although it is written slightly tongue-in-cheek (or maybe not, knowing Fred) it possesses an absolute reality that I agree with whole heartedly. I am meeting too many persons with degrees who are not educated and the smartest, most inquisitive, most knowledgable people that I am around, in large part, are persons with a smattering of college or no college at all.

It is now 1700 hours.
We watched "Mission Impossible 2" last night and we watched "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" today. I am always impressed with Tommy Lee Jones work. I was underwhelmed with MI-2, but H likes action movies and Tom Cruise.

I took H home and I am watching 'Kilimanjaro' on PBS. I have always had a fascination with that mountain since I first read of it. The largest free standing mountain in the world, the largest volcano in the world ... the snow roof of Africa, with a summit almost 20,000 ft above sea level. If I won the lottery ... I'd be on my way to Kilimanjaro and to Machu Pichu in the Andes.

No comments:

Post a Comment