30 July 2006

Sunday AM

I know that you people get tired of weather reports from the southwest, but I am so happy that we are finally get mosoonal rains that deserve the name. It rained almost all of Friday night and most of Saturday morning. Last evening it started raining about 1900 (7 PM) and was still raining this AM. It finally stopped about 0730. My Sunday walk (in the rain) was magnificent. It had slowed to a steady drizzle and it soaked me through. I carried an umbrella, furled, in case it turned into a heavy downpour as it sometimes does. Heavy downpours beat you up and are not relaxing. I took a couple of pictures yesterday of a normally dry wash that runs under Broadway Boulevard by my house and will post them today. It was running 12 feet deep bank to bank ... probably 100 yards across. Lots of locals lined the banks to take pictures and watch the water. When we get water here in the desert, it changes everything. Even people are more polite to each other ... except to folks from out of state who say things like ..."I'll sure be glad when this rain quits", or "If I wanted rain, I'd have stayed in Michigan (or Illinois, etc)". We wish that they were still there, if the truth be known.

The odd thing, still, about our recent rains is the amount in different parts of town. The airport got 1.57 inches yesterday, but .. according to this morning's newspaper ... we here on the eastside got over 2.6 inches and out by Sabino Canyon, they were deluged with even more. I imagine last night's rain was the same.

Hilda got the film "Star Wars II, Attack of the Clones" last evening and we watched it. We cooked some garlic-parmesan hot wings and home made fried potatoes. I had a few Shiner Bocks and we would pause the movie at times to watch and listen to the uproar of the storm and the downpouring of the water. The movie was pretty good, and not too long, but their were about 4 hours of additional stuff on the CD. We will finish watching all that stuff today.

I am washing clothes and dishes and having some onion/cheese kaiser rolls with cream cheese.

I will post some pictures this evening. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment