21 November 2006

My Thanksgiving Bah-humbug

It is only Tuesday night, but people everywhere in this fair nation of ours are working to get enough food prepared for day after tomorrow to feed a small nation. Hams, turkeys, tons of potatoes and pies and all the accoutrement's. My only question is, and has been for years, WHY? Do we really need to cook more food for one day than we usually use for an entire weekend or more to prove that we are thankful? I, small minority I know, think not. Having friends and family over for a day of thanksgiving is truly wonderful. But ... if we do not all gourge ourselves senseless then we are anti-American, anti-Pilgrim or something. If you really want to be thankful, have a small repast ... lay out some snacks and KEEP THE T.V. TURNED OFF. If we are gathering to say thanks and to spend quality time with our loved ones .. do it. Over-eating and watching football makes it just a Pig-Out Sunday. I will probably be at a household, where all the things that I am against this time of year will be occuring. If I could get out of it without making the lovely lady I love feel really bad/sad/mad ... I would. I would much prefer to eat something other than turkey, stuffing and yams and I would prefer to take my walk in the desert and be really thankful. Besides ... ALL of our Thanksgiving "traditions" were invented and have little or nothing to do with that 1st "Thanksgiving".

So there .... Bah- Humbug

No comments:

Post a Comment