08 November 2006

Politics

O.K., almost everyone that I voted for .. except for John Kyl (R) and Raul Grijalva (D) and some state representatives (A D and an R .... see Dean, I am an independant) ... lost. It's a new day in Washington I guess. My only real fear is of Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who is just to the left of Hitler and Genghis Khan. I hope that there is a semblance of civility in the new congress and that we do not start on a Democratic inspired witch hunting spree. The late night comedians will now have to concentrate on our President for their comedy. You know that they will NEVER pick on anyone on the left.

We in Arizona have banned smoking in all public places ... I voted for this, but I was really feeling pangs of being twisted both ways. I do not think that the we should tell people whether or not they can kill themselves by smoking, but it IS a health issue for children and other living things and you all know how I feel about children.

Also here in the desert southwest:

(note: I voted for all of the following)

Proposition 103 establishes English as the state's official language, 18 years after voters passed a similar proposition in 1988 that was later overruled by the Arizona and U.S. Supreme Courts.


Several anti-illegal immigrant measures passed here also. Among the ones that passed, the measures will prevent:
1- illegal immigrants from taking state sponsered adult-education classes
2-
illegal immigrants from getting state-funded child-care assistance
3-
illegal immigrants from being able to pay in-state (cheaper) tuition at state colleges and universities
4- automatically keep those
illegal immigrants charged with serious felonies in jail without bail, and prevent them from receiving punitive damages in civil lawsuits.

Proposition 202: PASSED ... Establishes a statewide minimum wage with an annual cost-of-living raise. Instead of the current federal minimum wage of $5.15 an hour, employers will be required to pay $6.75 an hour

Proposition 207: PASSED ... Private Property Rights Protection Act. Limits cities' and counties' use of eminent domain or condemnation for economic redevelopment or slum clearance

On other topics:

1) I am actively hunting for a new work place for after the first of the year, I have one interview tomorrow.
2) We (Hilda and I) are going to Benson to celebrate Veteran's Day on Saturday. We will see my mom and she will go with us to the Holy Trinity Monastary for the Art Fair and Craft Show. We will stay overnight in Benson.

Well, it is bedtime ... have a great week. PEACE


P.S. - Dean .... Maryland played good roundball tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment