25 August 2006

End of the week

Have you ever felt like you were an outsider looking in, or slightly ahead of the average "Joneses" ? I, of late, have felt like a one-eyed existentialist in a blind community. I see and hear and feel and am surrounded by deaf and blind citizens. O.K., I am an ego driven individual .. but, I usually am driven by an inferiority complex also. Hard to believe? Truth is stranger .. you know the drill. If I can put words to my myriad of feelings in the next day or so, I will.

Our temperatures have
only been in the high 90's and it hasn't been that bad, although the humidity has definately been 'east coast' and that's a real drag. The smell of the evergreens in the mornings and the aroma of the desert wildflowers on my morning walks has been absolutely outstanding. The birds have been overjoyed for some odd reason of late. They twitter, flit about, and seemingly enjoy the morning.

I am REALLY down of late. We (the citizens of Tucson and southern Arizona) are being overrun by east coast emigrees. Our water table is dropping drastically and our land is being decimated by housing developments. The area where I usually do my morning walk has been leveled ... no cactus, no trees, no shade, no wildlife. It is the future domain of two story, side by side houses for people who don't give a damn about the desert. People who will exist inside their domicile, never going into Arizona's desert, their A/C controlled environment closed off to sunlight by $2000 window blinds and heavy curtains. A back yard mimicing the east coast ... green grass / olive trees / et al. If they love the east coast and the north so damn much, why don't they return there? Am I bitter? Enraged? Totally pissed off? Yes, yes and hell yes. ..... Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment