13 March 2007

Some thoughts .. again

When I was a small kid, I remember looking at high school seniors and I remember thinking that they were so suave and grown up and had a great outlook, awareness and chance at life.

When I was a senior in high school, I found that the majority of them were shallow and not too smart and that a lot of them were self centered assholes with no idea of what life was about. They cared little and knew little about what faced them in the future. They also had little or no knowledge of what our government was or how it worked. They also ... and this is even worse now ... had no knowledge of our history ... mankind's or the United State's.

Now I am ancient (61 1/2 years old) and I look at high school seniors and see, for the most part, 17-18 year olds with a 5th grade intelligence / awareness and a follow-the-herd mentality. The boys (again, for the most part) seem to want to be "Black Gangbangers and/or Players". They only want to be COOL and have lots of STUFF. They certainly do not want to work to earn it ... they feel it is theirs BY RIGHT, and should be available to them gratis.

I have actually stopped patronizing fast food (and other) establishments where multiple body piercings and tattoos are in evidence on the workers. This is my choice. I just am not comfortable with any of these folks preparing or serving me my food. This may be prejudiced behavior on my part ... but it is what I feel. I actually do not feel like eating if my waiter or waitress has eyebrows, tongues, cheeks, chins filled with strips of metal.

These are our future leaders in business and politics and in the military. Can a person who wears their pants below the cheeks of their ass with 6-8 inches of their underwear showing ... or has multi-colored hair and tattoos and multiple body piercings be expected to become someone whom others (besides individuals of the same ilk) want to follow, listen to or look up to?

I have become my parents !!! Is there any chance that any of this kids have ANY CHANCE of becoming their parents or hopefully their grandparents?

At times like this, I miss the voice, spirit, and opinion of my late friend Beau Chantz.

The Desert Dude has ranted ... feel free to reply.


No comments:

Post a Comment