18 March 2007

Sunday night .. and beyond

Nothing new, just kicking back and thought I'd tickle the keyboard a little. Our high temperature here in Tucson was/is supposed to be about 90. I have seen three thermometers in the last hour (it's 1600 hours right now) that ALL had readings of 95+ ... one had 98. It is fairly warm, even to an old desert dude like me. There is little or no air moving at this time, which makes it sort of stuffy. But ... it's a hell of a lot better than our recently passed cold weather. I just returned from the pool and must put some lotion on my old drying out skin. Must keep the wrinkles away you know.

I have some pork chops cooking ... I watched Guy's Big Bite (Guy Fieri) on the Food Network today. He cooked some mashed potatoes with Sofito today that are a must to try this week. But, I had (in the house) everything needed to cook his Cuban Pork Chops with Mojo .... well, I actually had to go to Safeway and get some watercress and an avocado or two. The entire house smells like some great restaurant... I have seen people walking by who sniffed the air and nodded in approval. I have been sitting outside in my camping recline chair sipping some wine. I have them cooling at the moment and shall eat a bit before I finish this scribbling.

It is now 1700, ... dearest cousin Dean, you must try these pork chops ... and do not change anything (at least the first time you do them) they are superb .. I am sated. I had them with a spinach salad with artichoke hearts, slightly tinged with EVOO and a small sprinkle of Tony Chachere's. Tell me (via e-mail) if you read this ...., God !!!! these are good. A good white wine, an Italian Soave or a good dark beer like Shiner Bock will really pull out all the nuances of this dish, in my opinion.

1 cup plus 1/4 cup orange juice, divided
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, divided
1/4 cup vinegar
4 (1-inch-thick) bone-in pork chops
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup watercress, for garnish
1 Roma tomato, chopped, for garnish
1/2 avocado, sliced, for garnish
In a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag, combine 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup lime juice, and vinegar. Add pork and let it sit and marinate for about 1 hour in refrigerator.

In a small mixing bowl, combine all dried spices. Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel and rub with the dry spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Place the pork chops in the pan and sear on 1 side until brown. Flip over and turn the heat down to medium-low. Tony's note: Add the following ingredients in between the chops, not on top of the meat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and continue to cook until garlic begins to brown. Pour in the remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, and white wine. Simmer until the liquid is slightly reduced and begins to thicken. The chops should be cooked through.

Remove the chops from pan and put on a warm plate. Continue to reduce juices in pan by half. Pour over the chops and serve immediately.

Garnish with watercress, tomatoes and avocado.

Love from the desert ... Peace !!

No comments:

Post a Comment