23 October 2006

Gasoline .. and other necessities

I paid $2.10 for regular gasoline today. It has to be a couple of years since I paid that little per gallon. That is more than $1.00 a gallon less than last year. And Shiner Bock is on sale ... life is good. Some other grocery items that I bought today on sale .... tomatoes for 99 cents a pound, whole wheat tortillas for $1.49, and cantaloupe for 57 cents a pound. Killer prices all day, I hope I am not dreaming.

I have been listening to (how can you help it) all the political hullabaloo extant. I do not think that George Bush has a great command of the current situation or a great handle on all things at this time, but I also do not believe that he is the devil incarnate and the personification of all evil and ignorance in the world as many of my left leaning friends do. Neither do I believe that he is leading us down the abyss of war and destruction as they do. I am, as a matter of fact, extremely glad that John "The Traitor" Kerry is not and .. has not .. been our leader over these last few years. I believe that war is a semi-natural state of mankind. Let's see .... there were (in American history) the following conflicts that we in the U.S. of A. (or as colonists) have been involved in:

King Phillip's War ... 1670's
King William's War .. 1690's
Queen Anne's War ... 1702-1713
King George's War .... 1740's
The French and Indian Wars ...1756-1763
Cherokee War .... about same time frame as above
The Revolution (ours) ... 1775-1783
Franco-American War .... around 1800
Barbary Wars
... early 1800's and 1815
War of 1812 ... 1812-1815
Creek War .... 1813-1814
War of Texas Independance .... 1836
Mexican War ... 1846-1848
War of Secession (Civil War) .. 1861-1865
Spanish American War .. 1898
WW I ... 1914-1918
WW II ... 1939-1945
Korean War ... 1950-1953
Vietnam ... 1960-1975
Grenada ... 1983
Panama ... 1989
Desert Storm ... 1990-1991
Boznia ... 1995-1996
Iraq ... 2003- Present

That's about 124 years of War ... more or less. I do not think that we as a nation or GWB as our President have embarked on any "new" course or broken any "new" ground. I do think that some people/leaders/nations are evil and should be/have to be unseated and/or destroyed. There have been wars throughout recorded history .... and before recorded history I am certain. I mean, ... the Bible is full of wars, as are most of the religious tomes of the world. All history is a chronological listing of wars and their victors. If you are not willing to fight for your freedom, then YOU DON'T HAVE ANY except for that which was given to you by soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who were willing to make that sacrifice. And they (most of them anyway) knew going in that you the public wouldn't really support them fully. Americans want their wars, TV shows and movies to all wind up in a couple of hours. I am glad that there are some Americans out there who are willing to do the dirty deed.

O.K., soapbox is put away for the time being ... something on TV set that off. Besides, there is a nice rainy drizzle outside and rain in the desert always calms me down and eases my sense of reality.

Peace, ... Love from the desert ... and hug someone

No comments:

Post a Comment