10 September 2006

9-11 Eve

Tomorrow is the anniversary of 9-11 .... I remember that day so well, as I am certain most adults do. I was laid off (had been for about three weeks), Jennie had been gone for about 8 1/2 months, and I was living in the house on San Pedro in Benson. I arose and turned on the news as was (and is) my nature and walked to the kitchen. As I was getting juice out of the fridge, I actually heard the reporters on TV. I walked to the living room and stayed there about 8 hours, just enough trips to the kitchen to cook stuff for the nietos and to wash dishes.

I had to work today .. that's seven in a row. I came home about 12, ate, talked with Hilda awhile, and then took her home. I have been watching some football. Dean's Baltimore Ravens won and my state's Cardinals won their first regular season game in their new stadium in Glendale. The first "home of their own" they have had since moving to Arizona. Bret Favre and the Green Bay Cheesers got shut out today for the first time since the Jewish people left the friendly confines of Egypt I think. I am getting ready to watch the Manning brothers (Colts vs Giants) play each other on NBC. I would like to see Peyton's Colts win, but I would also like for Eli to have a great day.

I really need to get to sleep early tonight though. Haven't had much rest of late. Long days, short nights, tumultuous dreams, ... Hilda has been on my case because I had a dream about her finding a younger / richer man. Been catching hell all week on that one. Anyway, the game started here at 1700 and will run until 2000. I shall be in la-la land long before that I fear.

We were talking at work the other day about "super-spies" (you know, James Bond, Matt Helm, Our Man Flint ... et al). The conversation got started because when I was younger, I read the Matt Helm series of books. He was blond, nordic, loved pick-ups and 4 wheel drives and ate like a working man. In the movies, he was played by Tony Franciosa and Dean Martin (dark haired Italians with silk suits and sports cars) and was a satire on James Bond. So, no one had read a James Bond book in years, And people under 50 didn't even know there were books originally. They thought that he was a movie invention. We debated "how different the Bond books were from the movies". So, I am in the middle (actually almost finished) of "Dr No" ... we had all seen the movie recently. I was surprised at how short a book it is. I hadn't read any James Bond in 40 years. And now, I remember why I liked him. He is totally different from the movie guy.

Well, have a great week ... I am watching the game and sharpening my kitchen knives (it has been a while since I really honed them up) on my butcher's steel.

Peace ... love from the desert.




No comments:

Post a Comment