17 September 2006

Sunday Evening

It is Sunday evening. I am watching the NFL, cooking a meatloaf and trying to get everything out of my living room. The Carpet Cleaners are coming tomorrow ... the complex pays for one carpet cleaning per year. I have to move all the furniture though. Pretty hard on an old man. I need to obtain lighter furniture. This solid oak stuff is heavy. I am not moving this desk, they will have to clean around it. My desk was made for the Army in the mid 40's. The entire thing is solid wood, even the two pull outs at either side. Empty, with the drawers out, it weighs a bunch. It takes two big guys to move it. Hilda and I could not move it. It is 60" x 30" and is a bear. I told Hilda today that I am thinking of selling it, my oak bookcase, my beauty parlor chair, et al. I am just running out of room. I am also thinking of buying a loveseat or couch and another (tall) chest-of-drawers. My chest-of-drawers is a long one (6 ft) with 6 drawers. I would like to have 2 tall ones ... floor space you know. I have come to the realization in the last 4-5 years that there is very little (possession wise) that is essential for my life. I would like to convert ALL my pictures to CD's to save space, but that would take two weeks of eight hour days. I have tons of pictures, seriously... enough to fill about 50 albums. I was/have been a possessor (sp) I liked to have things. I have a few knives, quite a few coffee cups, ... some with military unit logos on them that were gifts and some with my name on them from places that I have been. Ego? Maybe, but I like(d) those things. Oh yes, and I have about 100 CD's for "AOL". You know, the ones you see in check-out lines, etc. I have about 100 different ones. Lots with pretty designs or pictures. But, ... the place I live is full of stuff. I need room, ... and less clutter. I am thinking of building some shelves for my coffee cup collection above the cabinets in the kitchen. I currently have my military awards and certificates there. They need to be stored away I guess. " . . . Memories, memories . . . pressed between the pages of my mind . . .". I am of the opinion, of late, that we hold on to too much that we don't truly need ... I know I do / have.

I am in possession of mementoes that are very dear to me and allow me to re-live sections of my life and assist me in remembering people and places that were/are important to me, . . . but, is it necessary for me to retain possession of these items? I am undecided about some of them, so that question will remain undecided for now.

Such is the fabric of life ... items, thoughts, memories.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment