26 May 2006

Az Weather and other stuff

Last Sunday, the ice broke on the Santa Cruz River .. we reached 100 officially for the first time this year. It happened several times since, but this weekend is supposed to be nice ... mid to high 90's.

I went to the interview Friday for my new job. I had a chance at a position making $2 per hour more than I was making, or (if I got the warehouse assistant position) $3 per hour more. I received neither position ... but I am now the Supervisor of the entire warehouse, the boss over the position I applied for, making $5 per hour more than I was making. They said that they are very lucky to have me and they are grateful that I showed up. I will work tomorrow (Saturday) for 5 or so hours to get my area straightened away and set up a training schedule for the new hires that are working for me. Right place at the right time I guess. It is only a year long position ... but may lead to more. Besides .. I am only 17 months away from Social Security. An old man officially by now. Hell, I have been getting bugged by AARP for over10 years. I have never joined ... any group that elects Harry Belafonte as man-of-the-year is too far left for me to be a member. I mean .. that is one anti-American dude. Besides ... they only want to sell you insurance.

I am looking forward to having Sunday and Monday off. Hilda and I are going to the veteran's cemetary on Monday, flags and such ... one on her father's grave and her uncle's grave, plus a few on some old pards of mine who went much too early. Marla and Beau and Reinhardt are going with us. Our salute to the vets I guess.

Military holidays are precious to me ... more so than Thanksgiving or Christmas. I am military to my core, and really didn't realize the depths of my feelings until 6-7 years ago. But ... that's who I am.

I will not get another paycheck (full one) until the 13th, so ... I'll have a couple of really lean weeks. But things will start to mellow out about July 1. Give me a reason to enjoy the fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment