06 May 2006

Saturday the 6th

Today is Saturday, May 6, the 126th day of 2006. There are 239 days left in the year. Aren't desk calenders informative little boogers?

Well, sometime today in Las Vegas ... my two friends Marl and Beau (Marla Marie O’Conner and Ashley Beaumont Chantz) will become legally wed. Congratulations and condolences ... both. Buena Suerta compadres. They are doing it the day after Cinco de Mayo, which means that probably every year on their anniversary, they'll both have hangovers. Not a happy thought.

Well, what else happened on this day that will forever be their anniversary? Since they both, like me, are interested in History.

1. The Army of Northern Virginia commanded by Gen. Robert E. Lee routed Union troops under Gen. Joe Hooker in 1863 at the Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia.
2. The Eiffel Tower was officially opened to the public on May 6th, 1889.
3. British medical student Roger Bannister cracked track's most notorious barrier, the 4-minute mile, during a meet at Oxford, England in 1954. His time: 3 minutes, 59.4 seconds.

And now we go on with life, and this post!

My quote of the day is by a woman I have no regard for really, that's another story, but it's a good and true quote. I happen to love quotes for much the same reason I love haiku, they give meaning that everyone (or most persons) sees readily in a succinct form. Anyway, Erica Jong said ..
"You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy."

It is Saturday morning as I said at the beginning. I took a marvelous walk in a mesquite bosque down by the Tanque Verde Wash this AM from about 0500 to 0600, I only slept about 4 hours last night. Renewed my soul a bit. I sit here at my trusty computer desk with some orange juice and tonic water, very lean bacon and some Asiago cheese bread. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment