21 May 2006

The 'DaVinci' thingy

O.K., ..... largely because of my lady Hilda, ..... I went to see THE MOVIE. I love Tom Hanks and I love the film making talents of ol' Opie (Ronnie Howard). But .... this damn thing was BORING (and much too long) !!!!!! If you have JUST read the book, you'd have (sort of) understood the movie. If you've never read it, or it's been a while ... you're dead in the water. This was like flushing copious amounts of legal tender down the old crapper. And it took forever... I kept thinking, ... "it'll get better", but as usual ... I was wrong. Poor old Tom Hanks, first "The Bonfire of the Vanities" and now this. Opie will do O.K. (or better), because curiosity will make him millions. It is already reaping huge amounts of dollars, even though EVERY review of the movie pans it horribly. The best review that I have read came from an eastern European country .... I mean, come on people !! An eastern European review for a major American movie? Come on Opie! The book was interesting ... even though many holes had been punched in it's 'facts' early on, and even though the author talked about his belief in the facts as though it were a NEW religion. He professed a strong belief in the FACTS of the novel, and he's never backed up. The authors of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"... where ol' Dan got many of his "facts" and ideas have admitted, as have their 'sources', that this is a lot of hooey. But old Dan, bless his greedy little heart, appears to be solidly adhering to his basic premise ... that this is NOT A NOVEL, as much as it is a revelation. Well, since I have sat through the damn thing once ... I know now that, happily, I never have to do it again. That is sort of a minor reward. I will forgive Opie, he has done SO MANY great movies .... from Splash to Apollo 13 ... with many others in between. He is talented and has vision, but .. he had a bad day. Very bad day .... to my mind.
Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment