10 May 2006

Thoughts

Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the crisp, cool mountain air. Nothing can bother you here. No one knows this secret place. You are in total seclusion from that place called "the world." The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity. The water is clear. You can easily make out the face of the person whose head you're holding under the water.
There now ...... feeling better?

********

I have told you all before that lyrics are the blood in my life. There is not a moment in any day when lyrics are, at least, in my subconscious if not slogging through my conscious mind. I was thinking tonight of what lyrics do I find "Outstanding". There are, of course, thousands. But I picked the four examples that were the closest to being in my conscious mind RIGHT NOW. These are all single verses from songs that haunt me.

JUST ACROSS THE BORDERLINE (sung by Meredith Marshall)
Ry Cooder, John Hyatt, James Dickinson

  An' you reach the broken promised land
Every dream slips through your hand
An' you know it's too late to change your mind.
'Cause you paid the price to come this far
Just to wind up where you are
An' you're still ... just across the borderline.

ANOTHER LONESOME MORNING
Clinton Codack, Wendy Special (Sung by Emmy Lou Harris)

Another lonesome morning
Another long lonesome day
You’ll have to live without her
The morning seemed to say
Another lonesome morning
You thought you didn’t care
But morning breezes find you
Wishing she were there

THE WAVE
Butch Hancock (sung by Jimmie Dale Gilmore)

I would have killed myself, but it made no sense
committing suicide in self defense
but I lost everything I bought her
When she said "Babe, you're just a wave, you're not the water".

18 INCHES OF RAIN
Ian Tyson (sung by Bill Hearne)

Give me one broke horse with a good fitting saddle ...
that's easy on your back
one good woman who makes up the difference .....
for everything I lack
one last chance to sell my calves .... 'fore the prices go to hell again
clear blue skies, and eighteen inches of rain

To me, those are poets. And all those singers interpret those lyrics masterfully. But then, that's only MY opinion.

I feel sorry for those in the world (and it includes my lady Hilda) who do not hear and remember lyrics. They are really missing out on some great words and great feelings.

Love from the desert

No comments:

Post a Comment