05 May 2006

Cinco de Mayo

Today is the Mexican holiday that was invented in America, is celebrated in America and is WRONGLY thought to be Mexican Independance Day. The holiday was "invented" by Mexican-Americans to instill a sense of historical pride in their children. Why they just didn't start celebrating Dieciseis de Septiembre, (16 September) the Mexican Independance Day, is beyond me. On the 5th of May (Cinco de Mayo) 1862, the outnumbered Mexican army did score a victory over the invading French forces of Napoleon III at Puebla. BUT ... in the U.S., this is the day everyone is Mexican just like everyone is Irish on St Patrick's Day. I think, however, after the debacle of 1 May this year ... only the drinkers and college kids will celebrate, but they hardly need a reason.

I think the date should be better remembered for some birthdays:
John B. Stetson, the hat maker, born in 1830
Spencer Tracy, the actor, born in 1900
Tyrone Power, the actor, born in 1913
Tammy Wynette, country singer, born in 1942
........... and, as my friend A.B. 'Beau' Chantz pointed out last evening,
Soren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher born in 1813 and
Karl Marx, German political theorist born in 1818 ... my favorite quote of his is: "All I know is, I'm not a Marxist."

My favorite thing about today ... IT"S FRIDAY. Only 9 hours of work until the weekend.

I am going to go out and eat with the fetching Ms. Hilda tonight, probably Chinese or Italian ... I am avoiding Mexican Restaurants this week. Sort of a feeble backlash protest of mine. Tomorrow, I plan to spend most of the day alone and get some things done that have been relegated to the back burner for too long. I'll start in the pre-dawn with a walk (or hobble) along the Tanque Verde wash, a slow breakfast over the morning papers at Jerry Bob's, wash the car, browse the books / CD's / tapes / etc at Bookman's on east Speedway for a couple of hours, get to the library, check out the live music at the 17th Street Farmer's Market, do the pool and jacuzzi in the afternoon, etc ad infinitum. Recharge these ancient batteries of mine.
LFTD

No comments:

Post a Comment