08 May 2006

Soapbox time

I will be called heartless, crazy, unfeeling and uncaring for this post. In fact people have already said some of those things about me. But I feel that I should be allowed to voice my opinion.

If you build or buy a house or a business in New Orleans that sits below sea level and below the level of the Mississippi River and sits in the path of hurricanes from May to November, should you buy extra insurance or just wait for the rest of the nations taxpayers to bail you out? Levees are man made obstructions to water that God wants to send one place and we want to keep in another place. They do not guarantee that water will never get to your place and flood your silly ass out.

If you live in California, have lots of money and build/buy a home perched on a steep slope because it has a killer view and shows others your wealth ..... why should American tax payers buy you a new multi-million dollar home when yours slides down the mountain in the west coast rain?

If you live in another country ... why should I, and other taxpayers, support you and your regime and come running whenever you have a war/famine/earthquake/ etc. with lots and lots of our money and assistance ... most of which is diverted before it ever gets to the people in need?

Where is it written that Americans need to support Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, et al, [who are very oil rich countries] with military assistance and financial aid? That's stupid.

If Africans, Bosnians, Serbians, and others are having problems .... why is it us and not France, India, Russia, Canada, Mexico, Italy, Germany and others who bail them out?

I was never an isolationist ... but I feel as if I am becoming one. I see kids and families where I live that are on the brink of going under. They don't get enough (if anything) to eat, they live in substandard housing, go to over-crowded schools and get treated like shit by the government. But, that same government is trying to feed, housea nd educate every child world wide.

Other countries need to step up to the plate or we need to withdraw from the tournament.

Comment if you wish ... all views are welcome. If you don't want others to see your reply ... e-mail me at hildantonio@cox.net

No comments:

Post a Comment