29 May 2006

Memorial Day


I always pause and reflect on this day about our fallen military members and all of those who served proudly. I am very proud and honored to have been in the military and to have served in Vietnam. My son Steven Rigney served in Somalia, Bosnia and Kuwait. My best friend served in Vietnam, my two favorite cousins were in the military, and both of my brothers were in the military during the Vietnam conflict. Thank you all for your service.

I wish, at times, that I could go back to my early days in the military and give more wholly of my abilities and talents and pay more attention. I am certain that I would receive more than I would give. I would, if I had to do it over again, make a career of the military. It is a black spot, to me, on my past that I got away from the true aspects of my military service because of peer pressure and wanting to go and play cowboy and do stunt work. But, we all have things that we would like to correct in our past and our character .... except for a relative of mine who thinks that he has led the most perfect and most wonderful life imaginable. Oh, for a semblance of that kind of perfection in my thoughts about any portion of my 60 years!

Hilda and I watched some old war movies, went to the veteran's graves at the cemetery, and then I took Hilda to her house. I am going to get some pool and jacuzzi time, eat and watch "Deadwood .. the 1st Season" on the DVD. I may watch some of Miami - Detroit on ABC. Phoenix plays tomorrow. Go Suns !!!

Last evening, we watched "Brokeback Mountain". The subject matter was abhorrent to me, but I must say in it's defense that it was well photographed and brilliantly acted. I am glad that they were herding sheep though.. kept them from being real cowboys. I was turned off a lot by the graphic love scenes, but I have to admit that the actors all did really great jobs.

As to movies that I really enjoyed this weekend ... there were a slew.

In Harm's Way... with John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, and everybody else.
The Enemy Below... with Kurt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum
To Hell and Back ... Audie Murphey
The Longest Day...with everyone in Hollywood who was alive at the time

Good old b/w war movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment